Monday, July 20, 2009

Mette Feta

Mette,

You are 5 1/2 months old and there have been hardly any posts all about you. Otto has a good 22 months of solo posting to his name. I am setting out to change that. You are quite the jolly soul. For the entire trip to Chicago and I can hardly remember you crying. There was that one night where you were miserable at bedtime and wouldn't stop but I think I should have given you Tylenol for you teeth so you are excused from that. Pretty much you just like to watch the world around you and laugh at it. You especially like watching your big brother. So much so that I think he must have been so bored as a baby since I was not nearly as entertaining for him as he is for you! When he runs by you while you are in the Exersaucer you laugh so hard I think you are going to explode. You love it when he gets close enough that you can grab him and put what ever part of him is closest in your mouth. Luckily he also thinks this is a fantastic game and laughs uncontrollably. The two of you are really so much fun to watch. You are really starting to be able to interact with one another. You are already working on perfecting the commando crawl in an attempt to get to him or toys, yours look good, his look better. Your technique cracks me up. You throw your head down on the floor, wiggle up your butt until you get your knees up then push with one big thrust moving you slightly forward. Then you look up to see how far you have come and throw your head down again repeating it all over again. While not the most efficient way of traveling you sure do get around. You are also a master roller. Otto rolled once to prove he was not developmentally behind and never really did it again. You on the other hand don't stop. I already fear having you on the changing table. You are also really close to being able to sit up on your own. You can do it for short periods of time now before you cream into the floor. I give it two more weeks and you will be sitting all by yourself, maybe less.
While your sleeping as of late hasn't been as good as it was, you still are doing quite well. In fact the last few days are getting back closer to where we were. If you could figure out how to nap for longer than 30 minutes that would be SA-WEET! I have faith you will, but sooner rather than later would be my first choice. Still the fact that you will sleep in your crib, without being held all the time and on some occasions have put yourself to sleep is awesome. I am not complaining!
As you spend all of your days watching Otto and wanting to be just like him, you have been very eager to eat. You try to pull peoples hands with food in them to your mouth. You watch with sad eyes when we eat but you don't get to. It has been making us feel bad. So even though we were going to wait until 6 months to start you on food, we caved. You are still getting everything you need from nursing but now you get to play with food too. It is making you very happy so I think we made the right choice. You started out with a little baby oatmeal and have moved onto peas. I think we will try peaches or sweet potatoes next. You are only getting about 1/2 oz. two times a day so it is really more for play than anything but we are all enjoying it. Otto thinks it is really funny how messy you get and you love the different tastes and eating the spoon.
Before you were born I was a bit nervous how I would entertain two small children all day but I am no longer worried. You have become such a joyful member of our family that I can't imagine how we were before. I thoroughly enjoy spending my days with you and Otto. In fact I can't think of anything else I would want to do more.



Let the cooking and freezing begin. Here is the first batch of food for Mette, peas and peaches.
as eric says, the wide angle does not do her justice! :)


No comments: