Saturday, July 31, 2010

Yesterday

was a good day.
My mom, Otto and I headed south to visit my grandmother while Eric and Mette stayed home. It was so much fun to have one on one time with Otto and it sounds like Mette and daddy had a great time too. She was a perfect angel for him all day. Not a whine or a cry, no mention of me (!!), one mention of Otto, went down for her nap without me no fuss, took a 2.5 hour nap (stinker!) and was generally awesome all day. Otto, Grandmom and I had a great trip. It is a 3 hour drive each way to go to my grandmother's so being a good traveler is a must. We sang songs, told stories and took naps the whole way there and back. When we were visiting my grandmother we went to a park to run around, played soccer mocker in the common area, played with cars, had lunch (nursing homes are really easy places to take kids to eat fyi, all the food is very kid friendly, as are the portions) and headed home. To quote James Taylor, we went "home by another way" and drove through Oley where I grew up. It was the first time in a LONG time that I had been back. It was so amazing to see it again. It is really beautiful there, and still is which is the best part. It is an oasis of country in a sea of surrounding yuppy land, but still so calm and beautiful. No doubt the calm is more appealing when you are not a teenager. Despite not having driven those roads for years, I knew every turn and tree before the came into sight. Our reason for going through the valley was to pick up my mom friend's Deb to bring her up to the cabin for the weekend. Turns out we had the wrong weekend to pick up Deb, she is coming NEXT weekend, but we got to see the family for a little visit and pick blackberries so all was not lost. The house I grew up in, an amazing iron master's mansion from the 1740's still looks wonderful. It has been a bit gentrified with some crazy stone retaining walls, but it looks loved and well cared for which makes my heart smile. Otto got to go through not one, but two covered bridges, including the one I used to walk to and play in as a little girl. He said he liked that one the best, good taste that kid. It also happens to be the longest covered bridge in Berks County, you know, for bragging rights.
It was a wonderful day. Spending time with Otto was a real treat and hearing about Mette and daddy's day was the icing on the cake. While being needed is lovely, it is also really nice to know that I can go away for the day and all will be well.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I think I remember that covered bridge! I also remember wiping out on a bike near your house when I was 9, and having to get stitches. Very memorable experience! :)