Thursday, March 10, 2011

Some advice

As I mentioned in my last post, Monday was my birthday. Not just any birthday, but my 30th birthday. Now that I am older and wiser I would like to offer a few suggestions for how NOT to celebrate a major life milestone, like turning 30.

1. on the afternoon of your birthday, do not opt to spend it with a lawyer going over you will. Especially if you wish to have a living will, the questions get pretty morbid and are not at all uplifting. Trust me, I know from experience.

2. On the first morning after turning 30 try REALLY hard not to do anything to totally throw out your back. Not only is it really painful, it also makes you feel like total crap. It doesn't help when your husband makes lots of jokes about how you are falling apart now that you are getting old.

3. Arrange to have someone come in and cook you dinner and make something with large amounts of sugar that you can put candles in. This should not be made by the birthday person and should be presented on the actual birthday. This is a bit tricky as it requires work from people other than yourself, but perhaps you can drop hints. Like writing a blog post about it... hint, hint, hint.

A large part of the reason there was no mention of my birthday on the actual day is because eric and I are going to New Orleans this weekend to celebrate. It will be my first time away from the kids for more than a few hours unless you count the overnight stay I had at the hospital when Mette was born. Which I don't. Eric is delivering a talk at a conf. in New Orleans on Sunday and I am tagging along for the ride and a free stay at the Ritz. Grandmom and Grandpa are coming down to spoil the kids rotten. In theory this all sounds wonderful but I will admit to being a bit stressed about it. I am trying not to cover the ENTIRE house in post-its and chill out.

I'll let you know how it goes when we get back!

No comments: