Thursday, September 8, 2011

When it rains

It pours. And here that means it floods. Which it is doing A LOT of today. I woke up to flood sirens at 4 AM this morning. My usual Thursday workout routine at the gym was put on hold because I wasn't sure I would make it home if I went. Eric moved the Lotus to high ground early this morning. Despite the fact that our house has not flooded in the past, the fire department knocked on our door this morning to ask us to think about evacuating. We only live four doors from the river and they wanted to be safe. Until early this afternoon the National Guard was directing traffic away from our street and the bridge due to flooding. We are fortunate to not be taking water, but that is not the case for many friends. It is times like this when I am really thankful to live where we do. Sure, there are no great museums here, the lack of exciting restaurants makes dates less exciting (though not so much that I want to open another restaurant any time soon :) ). The cultural diversity leaves much to be desired, but the people who are here, they are good people. I spent the better part of today walking or riding my bike around town falling in and out of groups of friends and neighbors who were knocking on people's doors to see if they needed help. "what's that, you need a freezer from your basement carried to your neighbor's lawn? Sure! We are here to help." Everyone was checking on everyone else. Even people whose own homes were taking water went out to see if other's needed help as soon as things stabilized for them. Our whole town is like one big block party today. I keep thinking about a few weeks ago when Hoboken was flooding from the hurricane. My brother-in-law who lives there was worried not about the flood waters, but the looting that would take place. Here, everyone is clearing their homes of all their furniture and possessions and stacking them in the street or someone else's lawn, leaving them unguarded while they go in search of neighbors who might need more help. There is no fear of looting. People are serving drinks, having pot luck dinners and making the best of this wet day. We may not have the night life of Hoboken, or the proximity to New York that they do, but honestly, you can't put a price on good neighbors and community. I will stay where I am. Knowing we can visit the city when we want to works for me!

No comments: