Thursday, December 13, 2007

7 hours

Well, as you may have guessed, Otto is not the greatest sleeper anyone has ever met. But I just tell myself that is because he is such an interesting person. That, and rest assured that when he is a teenager we are getting him a job on a farm that starts VERY early in the morning. Well last night he went a little over 7 hours without nursing. That is the longest ever. He nursed and went to sleep at 7:30, it took him a while to really fall asleep but he did it, then he woke up at 9:40 and nursed and went back to sleep. My new goal now that classes are over and Eric can stand to loose some sleep is that if Otto wakes up is that if it has been less than 4 hours after his first nursing of the night I am going to comfort him, but not nurse him until he goes back to sleep. I give him the first time even if it has only been 2 or 3 hours because sometimes he "tanks" up and sleeps longer after the first short stint. So anyway, at 9:40 he went back to sleep but woke up at 11:40, so I went in, and rubbed his back etc.. and he went back to sleep. Then he was up 20 minutes later, just whining. We let him try to work it out a bit but could tell that was not working so eric went in. He got him back to sleep and he slept for another 25 minutes at which point he was really whining and gnawing on his hand. That is the sign that his teeth are really bothering him. He had been showing signs all day of teething starting again so I was ready for this. Since he clearly was in pain and not able to sleep we decided to give him some Motrin. That worked, he fell right asleep and slept until 4:45. He made the smallest peep at 4:45 and I shot out of bed to nurse him. Forever now he has been getting up, for the day, at 5:15 and I was afraid if he woke up too much at 4:45 that would be it, he would not go back to sleep. So I rushed in and got him nursing ASAP, my strategy worked because he fell right back to sleep. It had been then over 7 hours since he had last nursed. I was so happy, I hoped he would maybe sleep until almost 6. He slept until 6:30!! and sang to himself until 7 when eric went in to get him up. It was glorious! There is a big difference between 5:15 and 6:30. Now today I think I see a white line where his left front tooth should be. But we all know what happened last time I thought he was getting a top tooth. I will have to keep an eye out on the bottom. I can only dream about the nights where I would only have to get up once or twice, in fact people have even said that at some point they sleep the whole night long. I am not sure I believe that though.

No comments: