Sunday, October 12, 2008

Conversation with Otto the other night

A few evenings ago after dinner I was hungry for a sweet snack.  I decided to have and orange which Otto of course wanted to eat as well.  I told him if he waited while I peeled it we could share it.  He responded "share the mommy", close enough I thought.  So while I was peeling the orange and trying to keep him from eating the peel, I thought it would be a good time to talk about the concept of sharing.  I said "do you know what sharing is?  It means you are going to have some of the orange and I am going to have some of the orange".  
Otto responded clear as day, "both of us".  I was floored!  He waited for me to divide the orange up into pieces he could munch on and sat next to me on the couch while we ate our treat.  I know he understands SO much and it far more aware than we are prepared for sometimes.  But understanding and using the concept of "both of us" on his own.  I think we are in for serious trouble with this kid.
He has also started counting.  He really likes the number 6 and 6 7 8 is his favorite string of numbers but he can go along quite well if you help him.  The concept of starting at one isn't high on his list but being as he is figuring this out all on his own I am blown away.  He also recognizes that numbers are different from letters.  He can't tell which is which although some times 7 and 4 are correctly ID'd but still!  Eric and I are thinking about learning a new language fast since we think he might learn to spell soon and that would be the end of it for us!

No comments: