Thursday, February 18, 2010

The nuk fairy

Ever since Otto was born he has had a nuk. I was dead set against them from the beginning though quickly changed my tune as soon as I saw how much it calmed him down. For a long time now he has only had them for naps and bedtime though they are beyond essential for both those things to occur. Last year when he turned two we thought about the idea of getting rid of nuk but decided that since there was a baby sister coming to wreck havoc on his life, we didn't need to add nuk angst to the mix. Somehow a year has passed and he still has nuk. Over the past few weeks I have been talking with him about it soon being time to give up nuk. Then on Monday the deed was done. Nuk went to the nuk final resting grounds in the sky. He still has blankie which if I have to make into a pillow cover for him when he goes off to college I will, but nuk is no longer with us. In addition to blankie, the monster Rachel made him has taken center stage in the snuggling scene. The first night was rough getting to sleep without nuk but he slept all night without a peep. Since then it has been getting better and better. He hardly ever mentions it now and if he does it is only for a second or two. I told him if he continues to do so well that the Nuk Fairy will come and bring him a special toy. He is very excited about this idea and wants her to come and play with him. I think this weekend I am going to get him a little gift which the nuk fairy can leave on his bedside table. This really does mark the end of an era. Somehow this whole turning three thing is starting to feel bigger than I was prepared for. Three is little boy territory and you can see it more and more in him each day. Not just in the way his pants and shirts all are getting too short faster than I can keep up with, but in the stories he tells, things he is aware of and questions he asks. Exciting and a little sad all at once.

No comments: