Thursday, May 27, 2010

Curtains

I have spent a fair amount of time on this blog talking about things that I make and or do, and I think it is only fair that I share some pictures of those things. Besides, this is a nice way to show off some of the amazing material I have purchased at the amazing Japanese Fabric store in our town, The Beckoning Cat.

This first curtain is in our back hallway which I also just finished painting. It is almost impossible to take a good picture of this window and curtain so please excuse the photos. The sun streams through which is lovely, but bad for a photo, plus the angle of the stairs is tricky to navigate.



I painted the risers of the stairs to match the material and they look so bright and cheery. They still need a few more coats of paint, but I just add them here and there.


The next curtain is also in the back hallyway. It is the door to my laundry room. It is the sunniest part of the house and now when the door is closed and the light is pouring through the new curtain the whole hallway is awash with color. It makes me very happy.






Mette also likes it as you can see from her excited gesturing in the foreground. With the painting of the back hallway, making the new curtains and finally hanging photos in the guest bedroom (door on the right by laundry room) the back section of the house is really coming along. I still need to put up a new ceiling in the bathroom and paint the bathroom, but that is a project that requires help. I am so pleased with the results. It looks fresh, modern and inviting. It is amazing what some paint and a little material will do to a space.

Speaking of projects, this morning I had a babysitter come to watch the kids and I powerwashed the deck. I think you know me well enough that I don't have to be embarrassed about how much I loved it. I borrowed the power washer from our neighbors and it was glorious. It looks so much better. No, that's isn't really true. It looks worse, but it is on it's way to looking better. Once it dries I am going to patch the places where the concrete is flaking and sand the wood deck. Then I am going to paint it. THEN, it will look so much better. But now, even though it looks like a mess because the layer of dirt and mold that was covering the chipping paint is gone, it is at least clean.

While I am working on that I am also going to make covers for the four director chairs we inherited with the house and paint them. All of this combined with the new lights I mentioned in the post about the herbs will mean that we have a really lovely spot to sit out and enjoy the evenings, or afternoons as the case may be.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

Hope said...

I just love all the things you've done to the house. It looks hep, bright, cheery and ultra cool! We'll have to break down and tackle the bathroom soon! Mom

Natasha in Oz said...

Thanks for visiting today! Great to meet you and to find your lovely blog.

I look forward to coming back again soon to see what other fun things you have done to your home!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Grace said...

I know this isn't the ideal comment for your blog, but I noticed that you posted using your iPad. First of all, I'm jealous. Mine's been reserved, and I'm waiting the email telling me I have 29 1/2 minutes to pick it up (only a slight exaggeration). I'm wondering two things: first, do you love it? And second, is it easy to post from your iPad?

phoebe said...

Grace

Thanks for stopping by! I have to say I really love the iPad. I use it for photos, email, facebook and the blog and for those things it is wonderful. I use the blogpress app for updating which is free and works really well. The only thing that annoys me is I can't hotlink things within a post. It seems like they are fixing that soon though which would be really great. I also can't change a lot of my blog layout in google using the iPad, but we have another laptop so I just save that sort of work for when I am on the main laptop. I use photgene for manipulating photos, I think it was $3.99 or close to that and it is great. All in all, for a small computer that does what you want and nothing else it is perfect. Feel free to ask more questions!