Saturday, May 29, 2010

Look, someone lives here!

We live in an amazing 1916 Colonial Revival in one of the most darling small towns ever. Darling really is the best way to describe this town. A friend once described the tree lighting ceremony in December as "something straight out of _The Gilmore Girls_". She was totally right. In this darling little town we live on the main street which is quite lovely. However we never use our front door, we are a backdoor kind of family, so the front of the house is often neglected. A few years ago I bought plants for the front planters and managed to kill them in record time by forgetting to ever water them. Last summer I toyed with the idea of buying new plants but with a two year old and a three month old that seemed like a really dumb idea. This year I am determined to do better. After all, if I can keep a vegetable garden, and herb garden and two small children alive, I ought to be able to keep three planters alive. HA! So on that note this morning we all headed to the garden store and I picked out plants that could handle the northern shade, late day sun location that our front porch is and came home to set up shop. Being as today is the first day in their new home and I have not even had a chance to forget to water them they are looking very happy. The best part is it actually makes it look like people who care live in our house!






Our house came with some amazing planters which may be original. It really was a crime for me to be growing weeds in them for as long as I did.





The moss on this one is so beautiful. The plant you see here is a sweet potato variety that will grow down over the edge of the pot.





Certain little people were very interested in helping. Despite the many days of predicted thunderstorms, it has not rained here in a while. No matter, my children can find water anywhere. Looks like the neighbors must have been watering their garden and some ran off to the sidewalk.






This has been a good start to what should be a lovely weekend. After naptime today we are headed to a local small amusement park. I can almost taste the fried food and lemonade now.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Hope said...

I'm pretty sure that the big round planter on the right side of the front door is original. The two that sit on the front porch railing are not, but they look nice anyway! Mom