Thursday, June 24, 2010

YiaYia noodles *edited*

As I mentioned in my earlier post, we have been in need of some pick-me-ups around here lately. Last night for dinner I made yiayia noodles, local broccoli and salad with local greens. I would like to think that the local veggies did something to offset all the browned butter we ate with the noodles. For those who don't have Greek relatives, yiayia is Greek for grandmother and the noodles are the ultimate comfort food. They are as simple as it gets. Cook regular old spaghetti, brown a bunch of butter, grate a bunch of yiayia cheese, layer and enjoy. I used a Pyrex dish, make a layer of the noodles, cover them with butter, add some cheese and repeat. Make sure you get all the good brown bits with the butter, wouldn't want to waste them! As for yiayia cheese, it is sort of like Parmesan. It comes is a large softball sized ball and the label is in Greek which doesn't help me at all. I will find out more about it and report back. If I were going to suggest a substitute, I would recommend Percorino Romano, or Parm if that is what you have. The great thing about yiayia cheese is it doesn't melt which adds a bit of texture, but we are talking about butter, pasta and cheese, really you can't go wrong.

****So our real Yiayia has given me the scoop. The cheese is Mitzithra and the dish is called Makronada. So there you have it, now, what are you making for dinner?******

As you can see, this meal is a huge hit with all members of the family.








Otto had three helpings of broccoli and cauliflower in addition to a whole plate of noodles. I forgot to mention the local cauliflower because he ate all of it, including the pieces from my plate.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: