Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Canning

One of the reasons I have been a bit off with the posting is because I have been canning up a storm. On Saturday morning I picked up 4 cases of tomatoes. Each case is the roughly size of a box of copier paper. I spent all afternoon and a good part of Saturday evening working on the mound of tomatoes. I canned 8 quarts of whole peeled tomatoes and 8 pints of fresh tomato sauce on Saturday. I also froze 6 pints of roasted tomato puree and 6 quarts of crushed tomatoes. On Sunday I took a break from tomatoes and made 6 pints of bread and butter pickles. Then Monday determined to be done with the tomatoes I canned 6 quarts of roasted tomato sauce. I am hoping that holds us for the winter. It is going to be a little slice of heaven when we open those jars in December. It was a lot of work but also a lot of fun. I still want to do some more peaches this week while they are still around, then it will be applesauce time. I will probably just freeze the applesauce. My grandmother always did that, and I did it last year and it worked out really well. Once all this canning is done I am going to deep clean my kitchen. It has been wiped down and mopped many, many times in the past few weeks, but somehow it just seems a little sticky no matter what I do. I will post pictures of our bounty soon, but I needed a little break from all things tomatoes.

No comments: