Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Culture Shock

Sometimes I wonder what it must be like for eric to be married to me. He is from the South (he doesn't like to say where), real debutante land. A place where woman have matching outfits, jewerly and handbags. He is in one place and only child, or the oldest of three by ten years. Shirts are tucked in, belts are worn and some things are just never talked about. Then he married me, a girl from a small town up North. I like the cold, building fires, the woods and playing in dirt. I come from a fairly large, very loud and while dysfunctional isn't right, it is safe to say our family does not fall into the typical tree shape. Depending who I am with I can either be an only child (for now), the oldest of two, in the middle of four and I used to sometimes be the youngest of three. See what I mean. We all talk at the same time and assume the others are listening while they are talking. Who ever is loudest or fastest gets the last word. We love each other very much, even if there is no reason to talk for months at a time and would do just about anything to support each other. And we make stuff, pretty much anything to be exact. If we need it, we make it. While I think eric thinks this is cool and was perhaps intriguing when he met me, I don't think he saw it through to his everyday life. This was evident by the look on his face this morning as he looked in the sink while making me coffee. (did I mention how much I swoon for him every morning when he makes me coffee??!!) Sitting in the sink was my deodorant container that I had just filled with the last of a batch of homemade deodorant. I was just waiting for it to cool enough so I could put it in the fridge to harden. Being the good sport that he is he rolled his eyes and laughed at me. He thinks I am a little crazy, and I probably am. But it's part of my charm, and that is why he fell in love with me. And the fact that he lets me paint, make, move, create to my hearts content is part of why I love him.

It makes me wonder, who will Otto and Mette choose to love? I know the thought is a bit far off and would scare eric to even think about it, but the question still lingers. Who will they be? Who will they love? What will define them? That is the amazing thing about babies and children, they grow up to be real people. It is kind of amazing.

1 comment:

JAZ said...

no fair making me cry at work.