Thursday, September 16, 2010

Inside the Egg

*Warning, when I first heard this story I almost peed my pants. Granted, I have had two children in the last three years, but consider you own situation and prepare accordingly.*

Attentive readers of the blog will remember in my recent post about Papou and Matt visiting I mentioned that I had misplaced our camera. I was really trying to be cool about the whole situation while totally freaking out on the inside. I use our camera almost every day and not having it has added an insane amount of stress to my life. But really, it's not like anything big has been happening, oh wait, Otto started school. CRAP!! Thank God for eric's iPhone is all I have to say.

Back story on the missing camera:
The last time I remember using the camera was Friday evening at the cabin. I took short series of the kids playing two of the four freshly made banjos on display. There were some real winners in the set and I was very much looking forward to sharing them. My memory of what I did with the camera after that was a bit fuzzy, but I really thought I put it in a Trader Joe's bag in the mud room that was filled with random other things we had brought up for the weekend.

On Saturday morning it was a little hectic trying to get all of us out the door to head to the track so I didn't really stress about the camera. I thought it was in the bag but also knew that there would be many other camera along that day. I took a few things out of the bag that we did not need to bring with us to the track and put them away and didn't think anything of it.

By Sunday I had come to the conclusion I had lost the camera. It was not in the Trader Joe's bag, it was not in my purse and I couldn't seem to find it anywhere else. Still, I had no memory of taking it anywhere else so it couldn't really be LOST. Except that my mother and I have spent the past two weeks looking EVERYWHERE for the darn thing. I took every last thing out of our car, twice. Including floor mats and car seats only to find many scary old bits of kid food, but no camera. My mom took apart the beds we sleep in, including the mattresses, looked in all the bins in the mud room, scoured all of the many, many bookshelves. It was a total lost cause. The camera was gone. Every email and phone call from my mom for the past two weeks has been a bit of a let down. She always has interesting things to say, but she hasn't called to say that she found the camera.

Until today.

This morning she went into the pantry to get some beans for something she was making. On top of the jar of beans was a box of Dinosaur Egg Oatmeal, Mette's favorite. I had brought the box up during our last visit to leave there. She felt the box should be moved over next to the cereal and picked up the box, that was when she noticed how heavy it was. She opened the box, and there nestled among the packages of instant oatmeal was our camera. It was in the Trader Joe's bag and when I put the camera in the bag it must have fallen into the open bag, then when I was taking out things we didn't need to take to the track I took out the oatmeal and put it away. I must not have noticed the box was heavy and put it away without looking inside.

I wonder just how long the camera could have sat in that box before anyone ever found it. We are going up there this weekend so I can be reunited with my companion. I promise to post some great photos on our return.


No comments: