Sunday, October 10, 2010

Lunch Special

If I was still running the Bleu Plate what we had for dinner tonight would definitely be our lunch special this week.

It was with special fanfare we celebrated the end of our tomato season. The two last large green tomatoes were carefully sliced, dipped in flour, then eggs and finally seasoned bread crumbs. From there they were carefully dipped in simmering bacon fat in my cast iron skillet. Once fried they were layered between fresh local lettuce and some of the bacon which gave us the delicious frying oil. Crusty french bread, spread with a layer of homemade pesto mayonnaise, worked well to hold it all together and keep your hands somewhat clean.

Despite talking about how decadent and yummy this was, we didn't think to get any pictures until it was almost too late.

There were a few slices of fried green tomatoes that couldn't fit into a sandwich and had to be enjoyed on their own.


It was a good tomato season, though next year I will get the seedlings started earlier. Now I just have to chop away (literally) at the GIANT bucket of green cherry tomatoes I have sitting on my porch. Green tomato relish, green tomato salsa, bread and butter cherry toms... anyone else have any ideas?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

That looks delicious!!!!! - Jocelyn

Lotte said...

Looks and sounds delicious. I have been roasting green tomatoes lately and had hoped to end our backyard harvest with a sauce or soup. I forgot them in the oven and was left with the just blackened shells of tomatoes.