Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Nawlins'

Well, we did it. We finally got away, just eric and i for a little vacay. We survived, grandma and grandpa are still talking to us and the kids had a great time. I was not worried at all that the kids would have a good time, that was a no brainer, I was more worried that the craziness of two small, "high energy" as my mom so lovingly called them today, children would be more than any sane grandparents would want to deal with. Turns out they all had a great time. Not too surprisingly, as soon as we were gone Mette turned her allegiance to the new givers of snuggles and cookies and didn't look back. Otto was a bit more affected by us going away and had bursts of crying and sadness over us not being there. He did however recover each time and now when he talks about the weekend it was all fun and games.

One thing that is really nice about having my mom stay with the kids, the house was cleaner when we came home than it was when we left. They even cleaned out the espresso tamper box! I am still finding evidence of their stay in places which is a lot of fun. Today Otto stumbled upon a perfectly drawn STIG in a coloring book. He gave the drawing credit to eric, but, honey, I love you, but there is NO WAY you drew that STIG. My bet is with grandma. Luckily grandpa was kind enough to email the rules to the game "potato ball" because there is no way I was going to figure that out without some help!

We are settling back into our normal routine here. Eric is off to NY for a few days to drool over new cameras and lenses and I am up to my usual "move all the furniture before he gets back" routine. I am also catching up on about a million loads of laundry. Tomorrow it is supposed to be warm and sunny so I am really hoping to get the kids to the park to air them out. Otto is a bit sad eric had to leave again so I am trying to think of good ways to keep him distracted.

So, now, what you really are here for, pictures of the trip.

No, wait, there is more...

First I should say the whole trip was really great. I could have just stayed in Harrisburg and read and taken naps for two days and been happy but spending it in sunny New Orleans with wonderful food and eric all to myself was quite a luxury.

We arrived in New Orleans on Saturday night and after checking into the Ritz Carlton (thank you SCMS for holding your conference there!!!) we headed out to what eric has long told me is the best burger joint EVER.

The walk there took us through the French Quarter at night. Why have I never heard more about the amazing light from all the gas lanterns? There is something magical about the light as it reflects off the bottom of the porch where the lantern is hanging and the side of the building it is illuminating. It creates this tunnel of flickering light that is truly magical. It also sets the stage for believing in voodoo.



There was a two hour wait for a table but bar seats were first come first serve. We decided to split a house specialty Monsoon and lurk for a bar seat. The Monsoon is basically a kick ass hurricane and delicious. The lurking paid off and we scored two seats at the bar. I should add that the mere fact that we were able to say yes to a two hour wait for a table was proof of vacation to me. With the kids, that never would have been possible. I wouldn't have cared if it took until 11 for us to get a table, I was happy. That could have also had something to do with the enormous drink....

The wait was worth it. They do not mess around with their burgers there and they really are as good as eric says they are. Port of Call was just what you want in a burger joint. Loud, with GOOD music, not really as clean as you might want when you look hard, staffed by fun and quirky people and frequented by local regulars. There is a special place in my heart for a good dive bar.


Sunday morning eric had a breakfast meeting with his editors followed by his presentation. Being the wonderful husband that he is, he went downstairs and brought me a cafe au lait, a croissant and the New York Times to keep me company while he was gone. He also invited my to breakfast and the talk, but I passed on those!!

(btw, I know I could have thought this through but that many academics in a hotel with nothing to do but talk and drink is totally scary! It makes for some interesting elevator rides!!!)

After lounging for a while I went off exploring while eric delivered his presentation. Not having a stroller to push or schedule to keep was very lovely. The sun was shining that warm low southern light and I got some great shots while waiting to meet eric at Court of Two Sisters for an AMAZING brunch.

This is so beautiful and so New Orleans that after being there for half a day you almost forget how NOT PA this house is. I had to remind myself to take a picture of something like this.

The porches, the iron work, the floor to ceiling windows (with original glass) and shutters wowed me at every turn.
Nestled right next to the grandest houses were barred up and peeling homes. A juxtaposition that seems so much the story of this city. Quiet homes with walls lined with books shelves half a block off one of the loudest party streets I have ever seen. How do they make that work??

I can assure you that every member of this band is cooler than you are. Trust me.
I love this sign. I can't really even say why but there is something wonderful about it.
This street seemed familiar and I had to turn down to see more. Only after walking half a block back did I realize that it was one of the streets I "walked" down on google maps to get a sense of where we would be. Funny to then see it in person...
There are those amazing gas lanterns again.
Sunday was a day of good food. Court of Two Sisters for brunch, an impromptu gin and tonic in the afternoon at a delightful gay bar, drinks with a friend of eric's from grad school on the gorgeous patio court yard of the Ritz Carlton topped off by dinner at Arnaud's. I like a restaurant that requires the men to wear jackets. It means that I get to wear a really fancy dress and fit in! Dinner was lovely and eric and I gabbed the whole time about how wonderful our lives are. As an outsider you may have been a little ill.

Nothing a little garlic butter and pastry topped escargot can't fix!
Before heading to the airport on Monday we had breakfast at a little place I found on Sunday morning while exploring. It seemed like just the place for a coffee before catching a cab.
They did not disappoint.
YUM!
After breakfast we headed home to our little smiling faces. I even napped on the plane and finished a book. A great vacation through and through.


3 comments:

Lotte said...

Wow, I feel like I just went on vacation. Sounds delightful.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great time Phoebe! Love the pictures!

JAZ said...

awesome! so glad you had a good time, thanks for the pics!!