Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I really should be...

Doing any number of things other than this post, but quite honestly, this is what I can handle right now. Plus I have been meaning to get these pics up for so long now. The past few days have been a series of things going wrong last of which was Mette today refusing to take a morning nap and only going to sleep this afternoon at 2 with quite a struggle and Tylenol because I was out of ideas. So, yeah, posting seems like just the thing to do. I don't dare put away the laundry in our room which is piling up all over for fear of waking her up. I got dinner going in the crock pot so that doesn't need my help. I could put away dishes, but they will still be there after dinner and I might feel more inclined then. Probably not, but we can pretend. I REALLY could deal with the toy explosion that is our entire downstairs, but again, can also be done later, so here I am.

Enough of my complaining, let's get down to what you really want. Kids, photos and info. Otto is doing great. I know I have said it before, but I really can't say it enough. I love this age. People go on about the terrible two's and while, yes, they can be very challenging, they are also wonderful. Otto is hilarious. At times like a crazy midget dictator, but overall very funny. While he has been talking for a long time now, it is really conversation form now. You can even almost, sort of, maybe a little, reason with him. You can at least have a discussion about the problem at hand. The discussion may take many turns you weren't anticipating, and never actually get you anywhere, but if you look at that as progress (which I obviously do) then it is great. He is such a sweet kid. He really loves Mette and is beginning to love playing with her. I think he is starting to see how much fun it is to always have another kid around. He mentions how she will talk soon a lot. Perhaps he needs someone to talk to more. Funny since he doesn't ever really stop talking to me all day. I had that coming though fair and square. Still I love spending my days with him and all his quirks, both annoying and cute.

Mette is darling. Truly adorable. She could however work on a few things. One, sleep! The girl has been getting up every hour, sometimes two and EVERY once in a while, three hours at night for way too long now. I am really starting to notice it in how I feel each day. Some longer stints could really do me some good. That being said, she has good reason for not sleeping, I guess. She got a bad cold along with the rest of us which for her turned into a sinus infection, which required antibiotics which you will see later, she "loves". On top of that she cut one top tooth and has an additional bottom tooth coming in. That brings her grand total of teeth up to 4 with one more coming soon. Not only that, but the crawling, teething and cold have brought on the first major bout of separation anxiety. The separation anxiety is totally by the books for her age, but I forgot how intense it can be at times. She went through a phase of it really being rough. The world was fine if seen from the safety of my arms, out of my arms it was a scary, scary world. One where screaming and reaching for me is the only thing to do. Of course this had to really set in while eric's dad was here. Normally she would have been happy to have him carry her around all week, but not last week. Oh no, firmly attached to mommy's side was the only place to be. The last two days have been a bit better with that, but I know we are not in the clear on that. As for tricks, she has mastered pulling up and now is starting to let go. She of course lands on her nice cushioned cloth bottom so it doesn't hurt or bother her much but it scares the crap out of me.

So that is the news from the burg, where all the children are growing and all the parents are tired... and without further ado, I bring you pictures!
Mette rocking some fantastic sunglasses.
The weather has been super crappy here a lot lately and eric had the great idea of getting some rackets and balls and taking Otto to the racquetball courts at the University. It was a huge hit! No pun intended. I think it will be something we do a lot this winter. How can you go wrong with a giant room where nothing can be broken and two kids, a few balls and some weapons???
Mette getting in on the action
Papou came to visit and brought this cute outfit for the girl.
After spilling many doses that she spat back in my face or drooled out while I was reloading the syringe, I mastered this technique. Lay her down on the floor and sit on her. I don't sit hard enough to hurt her but I pin her kicking legs down and flailing arms to her sides. Then I can hold her head with one had and inject with the other. It works great. I only have 15 more doses to go, but who is counting?
This past Sunday the University held a Halloween event for kids. They had lots of tables with crafts, games and candy. We took the kids and I really think Otto had a good time. He was a huge fan of the make your own cupcake and getting candy. He also really liked all the undergrad girls who thought he was too cute and wanted to talk to him.
Mette knocked 'em dead in her Tiger suit. Did I mention she can wave?? It is awesome. She can stop traffic at the grocery store. She does her biggest grin and reaches out with her whole arm. She is working on moving her fingers, but no one who sees it doubts for a second she is waving.
Kimi as he insists on being called when wearing the suit, loved the leaves outside just as much as the fun and games inside. It was the perfect day for playing in the leaves.


1 comment:

Kelli said...

It sounds like there is a lot of excitement in your house!! Hanna is waking in the middle of the night as well. For some reason she thinks it is time to play at 2 am! I am hoping it is a growth spurt and growing pains or something along those lines.

I hope you all have fun Trick or Treating :)