Friday, April 23, 2010

Yum

I have this grand idea that I have mentioned before of a seperate blog where all I talk about is food and it's wonderfulness but it just isn't going to happen anytime soon, and I am ok with that. However every once in a while I stumble on some food find that is just too good to pass up. This one hails again from the Smitten Kitchen website, but I have changed the recipe quite a bit. The earlier link shows her original recipe, but here is what I have come up with and love. Not only is this a healthy filling dinner, or brunch food, it takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and can be made with things most of us having in our pantry all the time. The cornerstones of a good meal in my book.

I have no fancy name for this dish but I can tell you that a VERY queasy pregnant friend has now downed seconds of this dish twice so that should attest to it's yumminess.

1/4 olive oil
1 large onion chopped
5 garlic cloves smashed
3 jalapeno or other hot of your choice
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 bag of frozen corn
1 16 oz can of black beans
2 28oz cans of whole peeled tomatoes with juice
4 or 5 eggs, I never seem to have room for more... but 6 would be great.
Kosher salt to taste
1 cup Queso Fresco
small bunch of chives snipped
tortillas for dipping

saute onions in olive oil until translucent, add garlic and peppers, simmer for two minutes, add cumin and paprika, cook long enough to blend flavors, 1-2 minutes. With heat on high add corn and black beans. In a seperate bowl or over the pan as you add them if you are lazy like me, crush the tomatoes and add them along with their juice to the pan. Bring this all to a heavy simmer or low boil and allow to thicken, 15 minutes.

crack the eggs in one at a time spread out so they don't touch. Cook for 5 minutes so they are like dippy eggs. While they are cooking sprinkle whole dish with cheese, chives and salt. To serve carefully lift out eggs in a pool of tomato goodness. Serve with warm tortillas for dipping.

As always, if you like things spicier, go for it. This way is nice and flavorful, but not so hot that Otto won't eat it. The fine line I tread with all our meals.

Enjoy! If you have a variation on the meal or tried it and want to share, please leave a comment.


No comments: